Thursday 17 June 2010

Fight the good fight and fight the flab

We Christians believe that our bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit; we should therefore respect them and care for them properly. Many Christians, and judging by my observations at recent Baptist events, quite a few pastors, preachers and present day prophets are seriously overweight. Mea culpa.

 A letter in yesterday's The Independent (on page 12 of the Viewspaper) is worth mentioning on this matter:
        With half of Europeans estimated to be overweight or obese - including 61.5 per cent in the UK - it is time to curb this epidemic. Obesity significantly increases the risk of heart disease, cancer and Type 2 diabetes and has large cost implications too.

I like this saying: NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS SLENDER FEELS.

I went to the hospital yesterday to consult a dietitian.  To lose weight I'll have to change my lifestyle. It, in effect, requires metanoia: repentance and conversion.

μετανοησατε ουν και επιστρεψατε      Acts 3:19

I'll have to forsake certain things and re-educate my stomach.  So this involves lifestyle change, repentance, conversion to a better way of life.  Sounds familiar?

It's time to pray and read my Bible on the exercise bike!

No comments:

Dedham

Dedham
River Stour