Thursday 20 May 2010

Love, the most excellent way

If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, even being able to translate Russian at meetings, but don't have love, then I have become a noisy gong and clattering cymbal.

And if I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, even getting a Cambridge PhD; and if I have faith, so as to remove mountains and those who oppose me and challenge my inflated ego so that I act like a great dementor, but don't have love, then I'm nothing.

And if I give away all my possessions to the poor and if I give up my body through hard work and much effort to be burned, and if I reach high levels of senior management, and if I win tennis tournaments,  but don't have love, it gains me nothing.

Love is patient.
Love is kind.
Love is not jealous.
Love does not brag or boast and is not arrogant.
Love does not act rudely.
Love is not self seeking.
Love is not easily angered.
Love does not keep a record of wrongs; it does not store them in a black book or secret file.
Love does not take delight in evil or when bad things happen to enemies. Love shows mercy and kindness to  foes.
Love rejoices in what is right.
Love bears all things, hopes all things and endures all things.

Love never fails.

Love covers a multitude of sins.

Whoever does not love does not know God, for God is love.

No comments:

Dedham

Dedham
River Stour