Saturday 24 April 2010

The Millennium Trilogy by Stieg Larsson

I have just finished reading the third novel in the Millennium Trilogy, The Girl who Kicked the Hornets' Nest.
I enjoyed reading the previous two books, but I consider the third to be the best. Five stars. One of the best books I've read. It's that good! Wonderfully gripping. You cannot ask for anyone more from a crime thriller.  There is a socio-political dimension with a good insight into journalism.  The book also asks the question, who guards the guardians? What is the role of the secret police and security services in a democratic state?  Throughout his trilogy there is a strong sense of justice for women harmed by men, notably those involved in the sex trade and trafficking.  Sadly Larsson died in 2004, so we won't see any more great thrillers from this great Swedish author.There are rumours of an unfinished fourth book featuring Lisbeth Salander.

I saw the film of the first book, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, which is in Swedish (Ma"n som hatar kvinnor) with English subtitles.  I have been learning Swedish since 1992, so I loved it.  I've visited Stockholm several times and this has made the Millennium Trilogy even more enjoyable.

Please click within the photographs to enlarge them.  Enjoy!
















Gamla Stan is a fascinating part of the city. The other two books have been filmed but they are not yet released in the UK. You can see them in Sweden without the subtitles.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've heard some people suggesting the third part of the Larsson trilogy is not as good as the earlier ones. There are doubts, but which book can give me insurance it won't disappoint me. The reputation of the author (his death has increased my curiosity) is huge, so may be the book would be worth the money. By the way, has anybody bought the book from http://www.uread.com/book/girl-who-kicked-hornets-nest/9781849162753? I have heard they are offering the highest discount among the bookstores. Let me know if it is correct.

Johli Baptist said...

The price at British Bookshops & Stationers,Sussex Stationers must be hard to beat, especially as there are no postal charges. The Millennium books are selling over the counter at £3.99 each.

Johli Baptist said...

There is some debate about which of the trilogy is the best book. Some like the first one and find the arrival of Lisbeth Salander on the literary scene as magnificent and hard to equal. Others go for the suspense and action of the second book. I prefer the final book; it has everything I want in a crime thriller. There are critics who look down their noses at this genre of fiction, but Stieg Larsson's narrative, helped by Reg Keeland's excellent translation into English, makes this novel a sure fire winner.

Stieg Larsson fan said...

I'd love to visit Sweden.

Dedham

Dedham
River Stour