Wednesday 19 September 2018

In search of the grave of Dr D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones

When I went to Newcastle Emlyn some years ago I failed to find the grave of the beloved Doctor.

I have read his books, heard him preach at Westminster Chapel in the 1960s, listened to his sermons on audio tape and at an event in Birmingham in the 1970s. I have been influenced by those who joined his Westminster fellowship of preachers and others who rejoiced in his Calvinistic views.
I used to read and subscribe to the Banner of Truth Trust magazines. The BTT published a number of his books, and I read Iain Murray's biography in two parts. I was amused to read about his holidays in Wales and to look at the photograph of him at Cwm yr Eglwys sitting in a deck chair wearing a cloth cap and stiff collared shirt and a tie. Strange attire, in my opinion, for enjoying the lovely beach and seaside!

Last week I made a determined effort to locate and photograph the grave. It was not an easy task. It proved much harder than I expected. I started in Church Lane, Newcastle Emlyn. There is a graveyard by the parish church. But after looking at every grave, I discovered that Dr Lloyd-Jones was not buried there. Some internet sites link the Doctor with the non-conformist chapel in Church Lane and the Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Church. These are false leads.

I asked at the public library in Church Lane. The librarian on duty did not know where Dr Lloyd Jones was buried. I was the second person who had asked her for this information.

Then I hit on a good idea. The non-conformist chapel is now a chapel of rest, so I telephoned the mobile number on the notice board, and yes, the undertaker knew exactly where the grave was located. He described it perfectly. I should have written down his instructions carefully, because there are two cemeteries on the A484 Cardigan Road out of Newcastle Emlyn.


I first tried the one on the right hand side. It had a wicket gate, as the undertaker had said. But this was not the right cemetery. No, not at all. It was arguably the more attractive cemetery but the Doctor's grave was not there.

I went to the other side of the road, where my wife was sitting in the car by the main gate. There was a notice board with the words, in Welsh and in capitals, GELLI. There was also a wicket gate to the left of the main gate.  I knew that Dr D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones died in 1981, so I went to the area where people were buried at that time. I found the grave, which he shares with his wife Bethan, who died in 1991.  I took some photographs, and thanked God for the Doctor's life, ministry, works and deeds.
He was a great preacher, and a great preacher will speak about the Saviour. So we remember not just the sermons etc., but above all, that we have a great Saviour and Lord.



The grave of Dr D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones


The cemetery where Dr D Martyn Lloyd-Jones is buried
 /


The cemetery near Newcastle Emlyn where Dr Lloyd-Jones is buried with his wife Bethan.

7 comments:

Johli Baptist said...

Websites that lead you to Bethel Calvinistic Methodist Chapel, Newcastle Emlyn, when you wish to find the grave, are very misleading. The grave is not by the Chapel at all, but in the local cemetery GELLT on the A484 outside Newcastle Emlyn.

Johli Baptist said...

Not only but also???
When I saw the grave, it could be misread as

only Jesus Christ and Him crucified,

but also Bethan.

Johli Baptist said...

The cemetery is Gellli, not Gellt.

Johli Baptist said...

Oh dear it's Gelli!

Jim Brandyberry said...

Visited his grave in 1999. The last of the preachers.

Ron Buchinski said...

Thanks for this post.

Anonymous said...

He is not the last preacher. The Lord always has someone ready.

Dedham

Dedham
River Stour