Saturday 27 March 2010

The Dying Thief at Calvary : a poem for Easter

Three of us here at Calvary
Nailed to crosses outside the city

Two of us are guilty of many crimes
The other one is remarkable in these times

He did not deserve this cruel fate
Truly a victim of such vicious hate

Jesus who taught God's true way
And now he dies on this dark day

My fellow thief mocks and swears
He has no time for God or prayers

But I have brought this late request
I asked Jesus for eternal rest.

My words were simple and sincere
To Jesus I made it very clear

Jesus, remember me when You come into Your kingdom.

Stranger, do you know my pain, my loss?
Yes, I'm dying on the cross

I was a thief for many years
And my death will bring few tears

But in these last few moments here
I can put away all my fear

For though I shall soon be dead
I remember what he said

I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise.

Yes, Jesus told me this before he died
And soon after these words he cried

It is finished! And bowed his head in death
It was just before his final breath.

And you, o stranger not know to me,
Where will you spend eternity?

This is my last piece of advice
Trust in Him to enter paradise.

No comments:

Dedham

Dedham
River Stour