Tuesday 26 May 2009

Stockholm and Baltic blessings


I have just come back from a wonderful vacation in Stockholm, on the Viking Ferry to Abo/Turku Finland via Mariehamn, Aland. I love the trip through the Ska"rgarden - the many, many islands between Sweden and Finland. I really enjoyed the long days and very cool nights. Stockholm is a very beautiful city surrounded by water. To get the most out of a visit it is well worth going on a boat ride. I recommend the Stockholm Card so that the main sites can be seen at a very reasonable cost. Gamla Stan, the old city area, has immense charm and character.
I arrived on Ascension Day (Kristihimmelfa"rdsdag) when Christians remember and celebrate the ascension of Jesus, as described by Dr Luke in the book of the Acts of the Apostles (chapter 1: 6-11). Four excellent singers were practising in the ancient church.

I went as a footpassenger on the Viking Ferry to Aland and then on to Abo/Turku. I remember seeing Ingmar Bergman's Sommaren med Monika and thinking how lovely is the Swedish skargarden in Summer on warm and long Summer days.

When I arrived in Finland I stayed for one night in Abo and then drove a rental car on the Route 8 from Abo to Ha"rkmeri, about 220 kilometres north. It is very peaceful there and much better in May without the gnats (myggorna). Watching the setting sun over the sea near Kristinestad, after 11 p.m. local time, in the distant north was awesome. Such a beautiful and uplifting site. No photograph can capture the glory of that moment. I have added some photographs. I hope that folk will enjoy and rejoice in the beauty of God's creation. Hallelujah!

No comments:

Dedham

Dedham
River Stour