Tuesday, 28 July 2026

Freddie Sayer RIP

 It was good to see so many people at the graveside and then inside the Hornchurch Methodist church where Freddie worshipped, preached and shared his Christian faith. The church was so full that there was an overflow area in the hall. 


Freddie was respected for his vision for the Hornchurch Passion Play, his work in constructing the cross for the performances on the green by the Queen's Theatre. 

I remember him driving the van down the alleyway at the back of his house, near where I once lived, working into his seventies having lost his pension as the result of someone's wicked act of fraud and greed.


I remember Freddie's sincere commitment to biblical truth and his firm faith which he shared so willingly and winsomely.


I remember his fascinating accounts of working as a welder, even for Stanley Kubrick filming Full Metal Jacket on location in docklands before the Banks and financial services moved in.


Freddie was a lovely man , who with Jenty, moved hearts and minds in Hornchurch. 

No comments:

Dedham

Dedham
River Stour