Tuesday 10 August 2010

Joyful journeys in Suffolk and North Essex

Yesterday I had a truly joyful day out in Suffolk and North Essex.  I visited the Constable Country, the Gainsborough countryside near Sudbury, the quaint historic village of Castle Hedingham and went home through the Rodings. The weather was perfect. Dedham was too crowded so we went to Stoke by Nayland, Nayland and on to Castle Hedingham.  I love the road from Sible Hedingham to Wethersfield; such sweet countryside and pleasant pastures can be seen along this quiet B road.

I love to spend time in the churches of Stoke by Nayland and Castle Hedingham.  I experience such peace and contentment there. I have so many happy memories of the times when I have been in these special historic and beautiful buildings. The architecture is magnificent and these sanctuaries have a great deal of historical significance.
Castle Hedingham, Church of St Nicholas
Stoke by Nayland Church
Misericords, Castle Hedingham
Looking to the west windows, Castle Hedingham
North window, Castle Hedingham
South Porch, Stoke by Nayland
Castle Hedingham Lady Chapel with the Good Shepherd mural

Yes, I am fascinated by these misericords at Castle Hedingham.  They are wonderfully carved in English oak and help us to connect with a bygone age. 

No comments:

Dedham

Dedham
River Stour