Thursday 25 June 2009

Another warm sunny day in the Constable Country

This afternoon I spent a most enjoyable afternoon at Hall Farm, near the parish church at Stratford St Mary, buying the local farm shop produce and sampling the fine food in the restaurant. I was feeling content with my lot in life as I ate al fresco under the high June sun and admired the view across the meadows to Dedham. The magnificent tower of St Mary's could be seen above the leafy landscape with lovely lanes and farmlands. Such scenes inspired John Constable. Coachloads of tourists and day trippers come for cream teas at the Essex Rose and the Boathouse Restaurant at Dedham. Le Talbooth at Stratford St Mary has a beautiful setting and offers top quality food. There are many good places to eat in this area, and the public houses are worth visiting. I have happy memories of The Swan at Stratford St Mary, where my sons used to play and chase each other in the beer garden by banks of the River Stour. John Constable painted The Young Waltonians near this spot, but the old mill is no longer there.

No comments:

Dedham

Dedham
River Stour